Ginkgo (Ginkgo biloba) is an herb commonly used in traditional medicine to treat a variety of conditions. Here are some of the benefits, energitics, and herbal actions associated with ginkgo:
- Improves cognitive function and memory
- Reduces symptoms of anxiety and depression
- Helps treat peripheral artery disease and intermittent claudication
- Reduces symptoms of tinnitus (ringing in the ears)
- Improves vision and may slow the progression of age-related macular degeneration
- May have anti-inflammatory and antioxidant effects
- Ginkgo has a warming energy and is thought to have a tonifying effect on the lungs, heart, and kidneys in Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM).
- Ginkgo is considered a circulatory stimulant, meaning it improves blood flow and oxygen delivery throughout the body.
- It is also considered a nervine, meaning it has a calming effect on the nervous system and can improve cognitive function.
- Ginkgo is astringent and may help to reduce bleeding.
It's worth noting that while ginkgo has been used in traditional medicine for centuries, not all of its benefits have been scientifically proven. As with any herbal supplement, it's important to talk to your doctor before using ginkgo, especially if you are taking other medications or have a medical condition.