Flax seeds are small, brown or golden-colored seeds that are high in fiber and omega-3 fatty acids. Here are some of the potential benefits, energetics, and herbal actions of flax seeds:
1. Digestive health: Flax seeds are high in soluble and insoluble fiber, which can support digestive health and regularity.
2. Heart health: Flax seeds contain alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), an omega-3 fatty acid that may reduce inflammation and improve cardiovascular health.
3. Hormone balance: Flax seeds contain lignans, which are plant compounds that may help balance hormone levels in the body.
4. Skin health: Flax seeds are a rich source of antioxidants, which may help protect against skin damage and aging.
5. Blood sugar control: Flax seeds may help regulate blood sugar levels and improve insulin sensitivity.
In terms of energetics, flax seeds are considered cooling and moistening, which may help to balance heat and dryness in the body.
As for herbal actions, flax seeds are believed to be demulcent, meaning they can soothe and protect mucous membranes in the body, such as the digestive tract. They are also considered a laxative, due to their high fiber content and ability to support regular bowel movements. Finally, flax seeds are thought to be anti-inflammatory, due to their high omega-3 content and potential to reduce inflammation in the body.