Elderberries are a dark purple fruit that grow on the elder tree (Sambucus nigra). They have been used for centuries for their medicinal properties and are believed to have many health benefits.
- Immune system support: Elderberries contain high levels of antioxidants and vitamin C, which can help boost the immune system and prevent illness.
- Anti-inflammatory properties: Elderberries have anti-inflammatory properties that can help reduce inflammation in the body and alleviate symptoms of inflammatory conditions such as arthritis and asthma.
- Cold and flu relief: Elderberries have been traditionally used to treat cold and flu symptoms, such as coughs, congestion, and fever.
- Digestive health: Elderberries are a natural laxative and can help promote regular bowel movements. They also contain fiber which can aid in digestion.
- Taste: Sweet, slightly sour, and astringent
- Temperature: Slightly warming
- Tissue Affinity: Lungs, skin, and digestive system
- Dosha Affinity: Vata and Kapha
- Antiviral: Elderberries contain compounds that can help inhibit the growth of viruses such as the flu.
- Immunomodulatory: Elderberries can help regulate the immune system and promote its proper function.
- Laxative: Elderberries can help relieve constipation and promote regular bowel movements.
- Diaphoretic: Elderberries can help induce sweating and reduce fever.
- Anti-inflammatory: Elderberries have anti-inflammatory properties that can help reduce inflammation in the body.
- Expectorant: Elderberries can help loosen and expel mucus from the lungs, making it easier to breathe.