Cleavers (Galium aparine) is an herb that has been used for centuries for its health benefits. It is also known as "bedstraw" or "stickyweed" due to its sticky, clinging nature. Cleavers is a diuretic, astringent, and a mild laxative. It has a cooling and cleansing effect on the body and is often used to support the lymphatic system.
Here are some of the health benefits, energetics, and herbal actions of cleavers:
1. Lymphatic Support: Cleavers is commonly used to support the lymphatic system, which is responsible for removing waste and toxins from the body. The herb helps to stimulate the lymphatic system and promotes lymphatic flow, making it helpful in reducing swelling and inflammation.
2. Detoxification: Cleavers has a diuretic effect on the body, which helps to promote urination and flush out toxins from the kidneys and bladder. It is also a mild laxative, which helps to promote bowel movements and remove waste and toxins from the digestive system.
3. Skin Health: Cleavers has been used traditionally for skin conditions such as eczema, psoriasis, and acne. It is believed to help cleanse the blood and support the liver, which can in turn promote clearer skin.
4. Anti-inflammatory: Cleavers contains anti-inflammatory compounds that help to reduce inflammation and swelling in the body. It has been used to relieve pain associated with conditions such as arthritis and gout.
5. Energetics: Cleavers is considered to have a cooling and moistening effect on the body. It is often used in herbal medicine to balance conditions that are hot and dry, such as fever, inflammation, and dry skin.
6. Herbal Actions: Cleavers is classified as a diuretic, astringent, and mild laxative. It is also considered to be a alterative, which means it helps to purify the blood and promote overall health and vitality.
Overall, cleavers is a versatile herb that has many health benefits. It is considered safe for most people when used in moderation, but it is always a good idea to consult with a healthcare provider before adding any new herbs to your regimen.